Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Peak week

Every time I train for a marathon, that last run, sometimes last two runs, I get a little grumpy about. I think it's the weight of the distance. Maybe the fact that I've been training for months. I don't know. This time was a little different. I struggled with those first few building runs. I just couldn't seem to find my rhythm. When I finally did, even 23 miles was fine. Once again, I was pushed for time. This time I had to be home in enough time to get ready for an overnighter with my high school choir kids to the state large choir festival. Oh, did I mention I was in charge?

We headed out and just kept climbing hill after hill after hill. Who planned this run?! Mile after mile, I just kept going. We hit mile 15-ish just as we finished the Parkway and really, the end of the hilly portion. By this point, I was really feeling pretty good. My husband was feeling depleted. We kept moving but our pace really started to slow. We spent miles with him running just behind me. He told me to run ahead and get home several times but I know him too well. I know he needs me, at least to a certain point. With just shy of two miles left, I ran ahead and told him I'd meet him at home. I really kicked it into gear. My average pace on those last almost two miles was 7:32-7:46 and I didn't break down either. I was surprised at the end of the day when I really couldn't tell I'd run 23 miles that day.

I got home and quickly showered and got ready then headed to the high school to load a school bus with 120 kids and 15 adult for 300 miles. It really isn't the best idea but it was a fun weekend.

All in all, training for the Utah Valley Marathon has been a success! I'm excited to run it in a few weeks and anxious to see how I do. I really do have the best support system in the world. My husband is my greatest fan. When he starts to struggle to stay with me, he tells me to run my own race. My kids put up with endless long weekend runs. And my extended family is always great too.

Thanks for checking in. I hope you are moving toward your goals. Let me know if you have any questions or comments. Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment