Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Utah Valley Marathon

The morning of Utah Valley started early, like they always do. Out the door, load the bus, wait. My sister has done the half several years and has told me it's usually cold at the top but that day it was actually pretty warm, warm enough that I just wore a tank and capris. I was really hoping for a sub-3:40 finish so I could get a Boston Qualifier so we positioned ourselves in between the 3:35 and 3:40 pacers. And we were off. We started banking time immediately. I was trying to run the pace my body wanted to run not let the pace on my watch dictate my speed. Just after mile 6 I decided I needed to go to the bathroom and I started pulling away from my husband. They had port-a-potties at mile seven and I stopped. My husband was going to wait with me but I told him to go and I'd catch up. By the way, Lycra and sweaty bodies do not work well together. It took me about a half a mile to catch my husband, part of that was uphill. When I did catch him, I told I'm I was hoping I wouldn't pay for that little sprint later. We didn't stay together long before I started pulling ahead again.

My pace was good and none of the hills were too bad. At the halfway point I texted my daughter and mom to let them know where I was and I hit a headwind. I could feel my pace slowing and the race starting to get long. It was at this point that I figured I'd lost my sub-3:40 finish and I was discouraged. I was running behind a lady and a guy and I decided to just run on their shoulders. They kept me moving for several miles. About 17 miles in, the 3:40 pacer passed me and I thought, "Oh no way! I haven't run all this way staying in front of this pacer to get passed with nine miles to go." So I passed the people I was running behind and determined I would stay with the pacer. I'd sprint the last half mile if I had to so I could finish in front of him where I'd started. It was what I needed. I picked my pace back up. The wind died down a bit and I was moving again, enough that I passed the pacer again. Mile after mile passed and I just kept moving. I considered putting my headphones in and listening to music to keep my cadence up but I knew that fiddling with things in my vest would slow me down so I didn't. Finally, at about mile 20, I was out of the canyon and on University Avenue.

So, just in case you're wondering, University Avenue is LONG!! I hadn't really watched my overall time for most of the race but about this time I looked at it and did the calculations. If I could hold a steady pace of about 8 minute mile to the finish, I could still finish with a Boston Qualifier. Block after block went by. I passed runner after runner. I could feel my body wearing out. I knew it was going to be close. At mile 24 I pulled my phone out to text my daughter and mom again and noticed a text from my sister who had run the half. I figured she'd already be on her way home but I sent that I was at mile 24. I looked up and could see the finish area. At a block out, my son yelled, "Go Mom!" and I about lost it. He bounced off in front of me to the finish line as I fought for every step. Halfway down the finisher shoot I see my kids and hear someone yell, "Go Brittney!" With my name on my race bib, I figured it was just a random spectator. It was my sister. When she found out how close I was and how close I was to getting the finish I wanted, she stayed to cheer me on. With one last glance down at my watch, I knew I had it. I FINALLY got my Boston Qualifier! 3:39:30. Thirty seconds to spare but it was hard fought. My sister met me on the other side of the finish line and I told her I did it and we both cried.

I texted my husband to let him know my finish time and to find out where he was. He was struggling. He's been fighting his body when we get into the upper miles to feel like he has power to finish. He finished with a 4:09 and was frustrated. It's about 20 minutes slower than his PR.

I'm glad I finally did the Utah Valley Marathon. It was harder than I planned on but I got the finish I wanted. The next race is St. George in October. I'm excited to do this race because I love it so much.

Thanks for checking in with me. Come back again soon. Good luck on your goals.

No comments:

Post a Comment