Thursday, February 28, 2013

My battle for no medication

I have a family tendency to have depression and/or anxiety. After my last pregnancy, I realized that I would need to be careful if I didn't want to take medications long term. I need to emphasize here that thee is nothing wrong with medications. I am a firm believer in modern medicine and that it is there to help people. I made a determination that if there was anythng I could do to not have to take medications, I would do it. Part of the reason that I am so active is that it's my anti-depressant, my anti-anxiety.  I didn't realize the extreme effect that my activity could have on my everyday life until last year. It was a Friday and I had must spent the morning in class. I had many errands to run and my kids would be out of school by early afternoon. I was frustrated when I realized I wouldn't be done before I had to pick my kids up from school and they would have to accompany me to finish my errands. My last errand was a trip to Costco. I was frazzled by the time we finally walked out. Anyone who has taken kids to the store will understand why. My kids weren't being bad, they were just being kids, touching things, wondering, making things take longer than necessary. A few months prior to this, my older son told us he wanted to run a half marathon for this 11th birthday so my husband and I had been training him. We had to get in a long run this particular day. I was frustrated that the thing I love, running, was going to be invaded by one of the reasons I was so frustrated to begin with. I have neveer regretted a run but I was so not looking forward to this one. We finally got out on our run and by the time we hit the first mile, my mood had done a complete turnaround. I was in the best mood, having the best day. To that point, I had never had such a dramatic effect on my mood by a run. We completed our run, having a good time and since then I have been a big believer that if you are struggling with depression, get moving. I know it's hard and somethimes the last thing you may want to do but you won't regret it and you will feel so much better.

My son did complete his half marathon and we had a good time. Another time I will share that experience. Tomorrow (hopefully) we are putting in 22 miles so I'll let you know how things went.  Thanks for checking in with me and I hope you'll be back soon!

1 comment:

  1. I know a comment from your Husband doesn't mean a whole lot but I want to let you know how much of an inspiration you are to me. I know you share these stories with me but I am glad that others now have the chance to hear your inspiring experiences. I know that you will inspire others to become more active and healthy.

    ReplyDelete