Sunday, May 19, 2013

Prepping for crazy. . .

So we planned to go 25/25. Our first 25 miles was sheer guts for me. Thoughtlessly, I increased my weight training last week but neglected to increase my food intake. None of those 25 mies felt good. After about 7 miles I realized that the run simply wasn't going to get better so I changed my thinking. I decided I was running 5-5 milers. Mentally it helped but physically it was just guts. My brother was fighting something so I was concerned about our second run. I got a text 5 minutes before my alarm was supposed to go off. The night before we had decided to just go 20. My brother was not feeling well. I told him to go back to bed then I decided to I would go back to bed for another hour and put in 12-14 miles after that. My brother told me to text him when I got up. We got up and ended up going just shy of 13 miles. Interestingly, I felt much better this second run than the last second run. The hills hurt but we were able to move. My brother was still fighting whatever so we walked more than usual but we got it done. 

We have decided what we are going to do next week for our 50 miler. Our older kids want to run a midnight 5K so when they are done we are going to drive up to Zion and start. We figure we should be running about 1:30 and be done before it gets too hot, roughly 12 hours later. My brother keeps saying it's good training for a 100 miler. I keep thinking when did I agreed to that. 

Nutrition is going to be interesting. I'm getting tired of chewy nutrition, gels are already out and so are PayDay bars. Stinger waffles are still amazing though. We'll probably carry 25ish miles worth of nutrition and water and plant both about 20ish miles into the run. By the time we need more we'll be into town and food will be available. There's a wood-fired pizza place in Hurricane that makes an amazing margherita pizza and we're hoping he'll be open on our way down. 

I'll fill you in on our run later. Thanks for checking in and come back soon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment