Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Boston Marathon II

Haha. I bet you thought there was no way I would be back so soon. Here I am. I'm writing today because I just finished reading the July edition of Runner's World magazine. They have devoted about 70 pages to the Boston Marathon. Other than the plane ride from Boston to Minneapolis the day after the marathon, I haven't spoken to anyone about Boston that was adtually there except my husband and we really haven't talked about it much since that first week.  Reading those first-hand experiences was, I don't know. Perhaps I should advise right here that if you haven't seen the Runner's World for July, beware that it is graphic. There are several pictures of the finish line shortly after the bombings and of people who we injured. Those pictures are graphic. That being said, the magazine is worth the read. Those stories needed to be shared. They surfaced feelings though that I didn't realize I still had. Don't get me wrong. I am mostly okay. I have moved on. There is still part of me that is not okay. I don't know. That part of me may never be okay. It may always be an open wound. It may scab over. I have no idea what my next race will be like for me. Even though I have already run another race since 
Boston, I think it may have been too soon to know what it will really be like for me. Only time will tell. 

I was robbed of the opportunity to cross the finish line of my first Boston Marathon. I was stuck just short of Mass. Ave. for more than an hour as we waited for the BAA to come let us know what we needed to do and go and expect. I never got to turn onto Boylston and hear the roar of the crowds as they cheer me and my fellow runners through the finish line. I missed the climax of my experience to Boston. I was cheated and I am still struggling with it. I had feelings that I am ashamed of. I was frustrated and angry that I didn't get to finish the race. I wanted to know if I would still get a medal. I wanted to know if the BAA would allow me to come back next year without qualifying. Reading 
Runner's World made me feel better. Many runners felt those same feelings that I felt. And they too felt guilty about it. 

Boston was an amazing race. It was a beautiful day and seriously fun. Right up to the time we got stopped less than a mile from the finish line, I was having a wonderful time and I was so glad we made the trip to Boston. I echo the sentiment of someone (I really wish I knew who it was!) who said that bombing the Boston Marathon was a bad idea. The picked the wrong group of people. Runners are used to adversity. We run through it. We are used to pain. Runners are strong, not just physically but mentally and emotionally. We will be back next year an we will be stronger than ever. 

Thanks for listening to me rant and ramble on. Thanks for checking in with me and check back again soon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment