Saturday, April 5, 2014

Today, this is a soapbox

It's important to state here that I don't usually use my blog as a forum to vent but I have decided that it is completely appropriate  and probably beneficial. Everyone could occasionally use a reminder.

So I was out running yesterday (I know! I was happy too!) and several times felt like I was taking my life  in my hands to be outside running. I realize that people are in a hurry and that time is precious. I get it, I really do. All I ask is that you acknowledge that my LIFE is important and precious too. So this is what happens far too often. A driver comes to an intersection, preparing to turn right. They come to the intersection and slow into the cross walk, looking only at the traffic to the left as they prepare to merge. They see no traffic and never really stopped so they start to merge. It's at about this point when I have the walk sign on and have entered the cross walk that my life flashes before my eyes and I'm starting to think my children will be orphans. The driver never even bothered to consider pedestrian traffic.

When I'm out running, I follow all traffic laws. I check, double check, and often triple check before crossing a street. I try to make eye contact with drivers. I can't tell you how many times I have nearly been hit by a car (once nearly a garbage truck) in a cross walk with the walk sign on. I promise no where that anyone needs to go is ever so important or pressing that it's worth risking the life of another person. Even if it didn't kill the pedestrian, it could cause an injury that could change their quality of life. Hitting a runner could make it so they could never run again. That would devastate me, likewise for many other runners I know. I don't know how you could ever live with yourself if you hurt or killed someone because you didn't take the time to look.

My advice, unsolicited I know, is simple. As you approach an intersection, don't just look at automobile traffic. Look for pedestrian traffic too. Double check sidewalks and cross walks. If you see foot traffic approaching a cross walk, don't park in it. Pull back and wait. You may earn yourself a grateful wave from a tired runner.

Alright, I'm done now. I have seen too many close calls and experienced too many myself that I felt like it was important enough to merit a blog post. Thanks for checking in with me. I hope you are experiencing success in your fitness goals. Check back in again soon. I may get one more post in before Boston. We'll see. Best of luck!

1 comment:

  1. Amen to everything you've said! WE all need to be more alert and pay attention to our surroundings. It's our responsibility.

    Keep posting! I love your posts!

    ReplyDelete