Tuesday, January 26, 2016

I need a mommy moment

Several months ago I opened up about the struggles we've had with my son.  This post is an extension of that one.  Today my son had an appointment with his psychiatrist.  We've been working now for about a year with this doctor to find what works for my son.  Thankfully, we have found medication that works for our older son.  Not so much luck for the younger one.  It's crazy.  These boys are the product of the same parents and have the same diagnosis but we've only got one under control.

We've had my younger son on several medications with little to no success.  His doctor wants to try a new one but our insurance doesn't want to cover it.  This is the root of my frustration.  HOW DOES IT MAKE ANY KIND OF SENSE THAT PEOPLE WHO HAVE NOT BEEN TO MEDICAL SCHOOL GET TO DECIDE WHAT MY CHILD CAN AND CANNOT TAKE?!  The medication the doctor wants to put him on is literally over $1000 a month.  We can't afford that.  The doctor says he can call and/or write letters to our insurance company explaining why it's medically necessary (because we've tried everything!) that they cover it but that takes time and I feel like we don't have time.

My son is so kind-hearted.  He is so sensitive.  I truly feel like he is a gift.  BUT, he can be so exasperating. He talks non-stop.  His train of thoughts literally come right out of his mouth.  He doesn't have much of a filter.  If he's thinking it, he's saying it.  Even if it's not the polite thing to say.  He's not trying to be mean-spirited, just honest.  I worry about how he's going to fit into this world.  Sitting still is out of the question. Focus is hard to come by, except when hyper-focus comes into play.  And he's obsessive.

I love my son and I do not want him to change.  I would however, like it if I could watch a movie with him without the rest of my family getting frustrated with him.  The whole vocalized train of thought thing gets kind of old after ten or twelve minutes and people start getting frustrated then irritated.  I usually end up playing referee.  I would like it if he could sit through a class at school and be able to focus enough so that he doesn't need to wander.  I know there is something out there that will work for him but this process of trial and error and insurance frustrations is getting old.  I want our insurance company to pay our claims the way we pay our premiums.  I want healthcare to be what it should.

Lastly, I would like to share a few links about ADHD.  The first one is what really opened my eyes to what my husband, sons, and daughter deal with (to varying degrees) every day.  The second one is I'm sure how my younger son feels at times and it makes my heart hurt.  I've vowed to be better.  I wish the world would too.

http://www.tickld.com/x/if-your-friends-ever-say-they-have-adhd-just-show-them-this

http://themighty.com/2016/01/when-i-realized-what-i-say-isnt-always-what-my-son-with-adhd-hears/ 

Thanks for checking in with me.  I hope you are moving forward with your goals and you're feeling more empowered and stronger every day.  Let me know your questions and comments.  Have a great day and come back again soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment