Saturday, March 9, 2013

24 miles, or not :/

We were supposed to run 24 miles this weekend. With the exception of summer when it's just hot all the time, I almost compulsively check the weather for days leading up to a long run. I check all of the local(ish) stations for their weather forecasts but I put the most stock in accuweather.com. I can input the name of the city or the zip code and get an accurate hour by hour weather forecast that includes wind speed, rain/snow, and "feels like" forecast. This week I checked everything all week. We often run on Friday so we can have it done before my kids get out of school but we go on Saturday when Friday doesn't work out. This week, no matter whose forecast I checked, it was rain and wind. Friday came and we decided Saturday would be better because that forecast at least didn't include wind. I hate running in the wind. Last night I checked the forecast on accuweather one last time. The "feels like" temp was 32 degrees. Now I realize there are people out there who are right now saying, "So?" Well, I have a really hard time regulating my body temp. If I get cold, I freeze. Besides, it's March, in St. George. I'm done with those kinds of temps. On top of the temp, we were going to deal with rain off and on. As much as I really hate skipping a run, we were going to have to skip this week or be miserable. I have missed a run every once in a while training for other races and things have worked out fine. I am a little nervous doing it so close to peak week but it will be okay.

What I'm hoping to he people understand that as long as you are consistent, missing a run every once in a while is okay. It won't undo all your training. Consistency is the key here. We did make it to the gym this morning and I can report that we killed the pace today. Six miles at 7:51, 7:36, 7:49, and the last 3 miles at 7:33. It felt great to just run and go hard.

I hope this information helps someone out there along the road to whatever goal they have set. Thanks for checking in and I hope you'll check back again soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment