Monday, April 29, 2013

Crazy high mileage

I knew I had been running a lot of mileage but I hadn't totalled it up. Then when I was out running on Saturday, I figured out just how how my mileage was. After my run today, I have run 140 miles in 2 weeks. What I have found to be the most amazing is my body's ability to adapt to the demand I am putting on it. I blogged earlier about how my brother and I decided on a training run for
Red Mountain that we were going to run 50 miles in May. So 2 weeks ago I ran a marathon (Boston), five days later (not yet fully recovered) I ran the Red Mountain 50K. Then five days later I decided to run the St. George Ironman 70.3 run course. Two days later I ran 18.5 with my husband and brother (to train for the 50 miler) and today we put in nearly 17. I didn't mention the mileage I put in doing hill repeats or interval training but I did count them. When we did the 50K, I felt good but the hills were hard. By the time I ran the Ironman course, my body had adapted and I ran it well. By the way, I love the run course for the Ironman. It's killer but I love a challenge! The 18.5 we did on Saturday went well but near the end of the run today, we could feel the mileage and the heat. We went after our kids went to school so we didn't get started until after 9:00 and we had a daytime high of like 93 today so it was a warm run. We figured it would be good training because some of our 50 miler is going to be in full sun.

We decided that our training for the 50 miler would be back to back runs. Our plan was to run a 20 followed a 15. We got off late on Saturday and had a full day so we had to cut our run short and added onto the second run. Our next set will be two back to back 20s. Our last one will be 25/20 or 25/25, depending on how we feel. We're both solid runners and well able to run. With our heads so we should be able to knock this 50 miler out! It's probably crazy but I'm excited. I love a challenge and pushing my limits. It's only in pushing the boundaries and limits that I find out just how strong I really am.

Thanks for checking in and come back soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment